Search Me

Saturday 28 April, 2007

Atto Rik Sha

This is an incident that a occurred few months back. Before I start, a little information about what the premise is.

In Bangalore there was a move to replace all the analog autorichshaw meters with digital meters. These were "supposed" to be "tamper proof".

Well, fine Wednesday morning, after I was in office for almost the entire tuesday night, I go out hunting for an auto. I am waving at almost every auto to stop.

Few stop, and say they need Rs.100 for traveling 6 km. The standard fare being Rs 5/Km. It now stands at Rs. 6/Km.

Finally, after waiting for a good half hour, I get one guy. He just asks me Rs. 10 over and above, what the meter(digital) would display. In a firm and angry tone, I told him, nothing at all. Only what the meter displays. The response, left me stunned.
"क्या साब, दस रुपया एक्स्ट्रा देदो ना साब, येह मीटर दिगिटल हैं साब, इसको मैं
चेध कर बढ़ा भी नही सकता, देदो ना साब"

For those who don't know Hindi, this guy was asking me to pay him extra coz he was forced into being honest, as the digital meter dint give him an opportunity to tamper around, as he would have with an analog meter.

Finally I did make it home safe and sound, without giving any extra money.

naaaaaaaaa, I had to give him some extra amount, since the guy dint have a change.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Another snippet.

This was when my wife, was my girlfriend. She was going to her examination hall in an auto.
This auto guy was "a complete cartoon". In his own words, he had a degree in MRA,
Masters in Rickshaw Administration.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... the woes of the atto walas in Banaglore!! बाप रे बाप!! They are probably the worst among their clan in various cities...

    All these would seem deja vu about an year back... till my bike came to my rescue!! :-)

    ReplyDelete